Saturday, May 6, 2017

DIY Himalayan Salt Lamp

I very much want a Himalayan salt lamp. 
When I spot these pink beauties in the natural grocery store or on the shelves of local gifts shops, I'm always drawn in.  
So far, I've yet to take one home with me - but I have come preeetty close.

Me:
"I walked in with thirty-five dollars in my purse to pick up vegan protein powder but this lamp..."
(image from Disney Wiki)

According to many who consider themselves "pro-salt lamp", the over sized salt crystal brings a variety of health benefits by cleaning the air in our homes through the release of negative ions (you can read more about that here).  
Although I can't find any scientific studies to back these claims, I figure it couldn't hurt to have such an organically beautiful source of ambient light in my home, right?
(image from Amazon)

For now, the real thing is still waiting patiently on my Amazon wish list but my DIY version is glowing comfortingly on my living room fireplace.  
I was perusing the craft supplies at Dollar Tree for a different project when I noticed this tall grinder full of Himalayan salt towering over the other spices in the food aisle. 
 I 'm not sure if Dollar Tree carries fancy salt all of the time or if it's a specialty item.  
Many other stores also sell Himalayan salt, however, and I usually find it at World Market
Traditional salt lamps have the center carved out to house a light bulb or candle. 
This version is made with two vases or glasses: one slightly smaller inside the other, creating a space for the salt and an open center to place your tea light in.
You will need:

Himalayan salt
2 cups or vases: one smaller than the other
hot glue gun or another adhesive
candle or small LED tea light

First, let's talk about the vessel that holds the salt.  
I found these glass containers at the thrift store for fifty cents a piece. 
One is a vase and the other is a glass with a gold letter "B" on the side, but that isn't visible with the salt inside.
When the smaller container sits in the larger one, the rims should be almost flush.
The rim of the smaller glass should not be taller.  If anything, it can be a teeny bit shorter, but not too much or it won't look quite right.

I tried several combinations before I found two containers that worked well together. 
Meaning I probably handled dozens of glass items and managed not to break anything!  Go me! 
The larger vase is about 6" tall.  
Your lamp can be as big or small as you'd like.  I only chose this size because of how well the rims of these two containers aligned.
You should have at least 1/2 an inch of space between the two containers for the salt.
A smaller amount of space may not leave enough room for larger chunks of salt and a larger space may hold so much salt that light can't get through.
Use the adhesive to secure your smaller glass in the center of the larger container.
I used my hot glue gun because I am impatient.
When you pour salt into the narrow space around the center, it can easily fall into the middle where your tea light will go.  
THEN, if you try to pour it out, you'll also pour the salt out of the space you want it in.  I learned this the hard way.
To prevent salt from filling the center, use scrap paper or card stock to make a tube and set it in the smaller vase.  See how this works?  
Now the salt can't fall in.
There may be an easier way to open the grinder, but I just used kitchen shears to slice off the top.
Like I said, I'm impatient.
Place your vessel in a bowl and gently shake the crystals into the open space.
Use a chopstick or the handle of a paint brush to move the salt around.
Completely fill the space with salt, right up to the brim.
Gently pull out the tube of paper and set a candle inside.
And now you are finished!
Here's a semi-decent shot of the lamp in the dark.
Do you have a salt lamp at home?
If so, have you noticed any of the health benefits?

3 comments:

  1. Hi I'm wondering how does the salt work while inside of a vase or glass. Reason i ask is cuz a regular rock is in the open nothing is around it blocking it. But this way you've shown...mind you very pretty. I don't understand how all the salt can do its job while blocked by the vase

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is awesome. You have shared very valuable information to us. These salt lamp are really look goods Thank you so much for sharing this Post. For More info. Himalayan salt lamp

    ReplyDelete