Monday, July 2, 2012

Button Headband (DIY)

Last weekend I spent an afternoon by the pool with two of my very favorite girls.  We worked together several years ago at a YMCA day camp program and it was one of the most interesting jobs I've ever had.  Everyday, at least one crazy, unexpected thing happened.  Every time I get together with these girls is an adventure: from summer camp to 80's prom to the time I knocked Liz's tooth out with my elbow at a concert (I still feel pretty horrible about that one).



 While we sat in the sun telling stories and laughing, we put together these easy, adorable headbands with buttons.  And now I am going to tell you how so that next time you're laying out, you can make your own.


You will need: 
buttons
elastic headband
needle
thread
scissors

(I found these headbands on clearance at JoAnn Fabric, but you can find them anywhere: Claire's in the mall, the dollar store, or even a drugstore)




Choose the buttons you want and arrange them how you'd like to see them on your head.  Once you feel good about the arrangement, its time to sew them on the headband.  Be sure to knot and cut the thread after each individual button; if you connect the buttons with one section of thread, your band won't stretch.











Try stacking different sized buttons or staggering them on the headband.  You can also sew them closer to the edges of the band rather than right in the center.  Overlapping buttons also looks fun, and because the band stretches, they will look less crowded once in your hair.

And that's it.  This project can be as simple as sewing just one pretty button or investing an afternoon into finding dozens of them to cover the entire band.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment