Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Tribal Half Headband (DIY)

Okay, so I know I've already posted another headband tutorial earlier in the week, but I've been thinking about them a lot lately.

Because I have curly hair, the humidity makes it look like a Brillo pad.  I've been kind of lazy recently and just piling all of my frizzy curls up in a sumo wrestler bun, which looks good on some people...but not me.  I'm getting tired of people asking if I'm sick or forgot to shower, so right now I'm really interested in finding cute styles that can be maintained in one million degree weather.
I've really been liking big fabric headbands, especially tribal printed fabric.  I have a lot of hair, but unfortunately its very fine and slippery, so fabric headbands don't stay unless I hold it down with about 60 bobby pins.  So, I had an idea: what if I made just a half headband?  It would be made of fabric, but not wrap all the way around my head, and have built in clips?  This is how it turned out.  Are you impressed?  You should be!  Here's how to make one for yourself:


You will need:
strip of tribal fabric
2 metal barrettes
needle
thread
scissors








My fabric section is about 12" x 4" but you might want yours a different size.  Try measuring it against your head to determine what size you would like the band to be.  Fold the fabric in half lengthwise and inside out (the printed side of your fabric should be facing inward).  Sew up the side, leaving the ends open to create a tube.




Gently turn the tube inside out.  I don't want to confuse you, but you are actually turning the tube right side out. The seam will be inside and the printed side of the fabric will be facing out.
Are you still following?  You should have something like a Native American printed intestine now.








Tuck in the edge of the fabric tube (about 1/2 an inch) and flatten it.  Sew the edge to a barrette.  Loop your thread around just one side of the clip.






Sew another clip on the other side of the tube; be sure to have them face the same direction.








When you put the half band in your hair, just be sure to use some of it to cover the clips.  I like to have all of my hair up off my neck, so I'm planning to wear the band in a messy up do most of the summer.

You could wear this a million ways, but here's how I'm wearing mine (please forgive my crappy bathroom photos):


1.  Put your hair in a half pony tail, leaving out the hair behind your ears.  Secure with a ponytail holder.







2.  Pin the headband in place










3.  Twist the ponytail up and clip or pin into a loose bun.





4.  Pull back the loose hair from behind your ears to cover the headband clip and pin in place under your loose bun.







5.  Twist up the bottom half into another loose bun and pin or clip directly under the first bun.

It seems to stay really well!
  






No comments:

Post a Comment