Monday, September 24, 2012

Geode Necklace (DIY)

My favorite subject in elementary school was probably geology.  I love rocks and I REALLY love that geology inspired designs have been popping up in high fashion.  While browsing Chanel's website, I stumbled across these gorgeous geode pieces and had an epiphany: 
I could make one of these....

...or at least something similar...okay, something cheap and borderline trashy compared to Chanel but, you know, still keeping the geode theme.  My version was definitely created on the cheap, but the process is simple and I think it's very pretty..

Here's what you need:
wire clippers
3D Crystal Lacquer, epoxy, or clear resin
metal bail
small aquarium rocks
plastic beads
small glass seed beads
old makeup compact with little metal trays inside

First, clean out the makeup compact.  This is my new favorite way to recycle makeup containers.  I used a toothpick to scrape out the excess powder, then removed them from the compact.  To remove the glue from the back of my trays, i used Goo-Gone, then washed them with dish soap.
All clean!  
Make sure the trays are very clean and dry.  If any residue is present (very possible when using Goo-Gone), the resin might not adhere to the tray. <--- I don't know this for sure, but it seems possible.  Safe is better than sorry, right?  I'd be mad if, as I was showing off my necklace, the geode portion flopped out and fell on the ground.
Now its time to make your 'uncut gems.'  With the wire clippers, chop up your plastic beads into jagged sections.  Here's a helpful tip: grab the bead in your clippers, then slide into a plastic bag before cutting.  This will keep all the sharp little pieces in one place and prevent them from shooting across the room, never to be seen again or propelling themselves fatally into one of your pet's eyes.
Line the inside of your tray with a very thin layer of 3D Crystal Lacquer, resin, or epoxy.  I've never used resin before, so if you choose to, please let me know how it worked out in this project.  I bought my bottle of 3D Crystal Lacquer on Etsy.
Arrange the aquarium stones and jagged 'uncut gems' in the tray, then add seed beads.  In addition to the aquarium stones, I tossed in a few tiny bits of gravel I found outside in my driveway to add some natural color, but this isn't necessary.  If things aren't falling perfectly into place, use a toothpick to nudge them until you're happy.  Try not to focus on making a design, just let it come together organic and naturally .  The only task you have is to make sure no part of the tray is visible through gaps in the gems and beads.
Cover the stones with a thin layer of 3D Crystal Lacquer (or if you're using resin or epoxy, follow the directions).  Spread the lacquer into all the little nooks & crannies with a toothpick, then set aside to harden overnight.
Attach the bail to the back of your pendant when its dry.  You can find bails at most craft stores.  I saw them at Hobby Lobby last week.   To connect them, I used E-6000 glue.  After the glue sets, add a chain and your Geode necklace is good to go!
Totally Tutorials Blog

This tutorial was featured on totallytutorials.blogspot.com!






5 comments:

  1. Fantastic idea..... congrats.... Love it... Thanks a lot for sharing!!!
    Dox....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The use of makeup compact trays is a great idea! Here are my glass tile pendants.... I used Japanese fabric (I have a soft spot for these)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! ,I use epoxy resin too but yours idea is more easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea and the designs look absolutely fabulous!

    geode jewelry wholesale

    ReplyDelete