Sunday, January 15, 2012

Altoid Tin Chocolate Box


Craig, a friend of mine on Facebook, posted a message about “paying it forward”. 

 In the message, Craig promised to pay it forward in 2012 by hand making something for the first five people to comment.  The idea was so inspiring to me that I wanted to repost it and come up with something to make.  With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I’m craving sweets.  For this project, five empty Altoid tins were given an old-fashioned makeover and filled with cute homemade white chocolate candies.  The results are mouth-watering and adorable.


I started by cutting pages from an old piano music book to attach to the lids of Altoid tins with spray adhesive.  The flowers and pearls (both scrap booking supplies from the goodwill) with a tiny gold bow add a hint of vintage.  Parchment paper and pink tissue were cut into strips to line the inside of the boxes and protect the candy.  Making the chocolate candies was fun, but challenging. I separated candy hearts into two bowls: deformed/unreadable and normal.  The normal hearts went face down in the mold; the other hearts went into my mouth.  Using my fondue pot, I melted the chocolate and spooned it into the molds. The chocolate was messy, napalm hot, and took forever to harden, but tasted delicious.



I loved putting these little boxes of chocolate together and I’m really looking forward to sharing them with five of my friends. Starting the new year by paying it forward gives me such a good feeling, and hopefully some good karma.










2 comments:

  1. I, too, am doing the Pay It Forward project and plan on creating items from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so exciting! Please take pictures, I can't wait to see everything you make!

      Delete