Monday, December 29, 2014

New Years Card (DIY)

Happy New Years!
This year, Instead of mailing Christmas cards to my friends and loved ones, I am sending New Years cards. Why, you ask?  Because I think it's fun and different... aaaaand also because I ran out of time to do this before Christmas.


I had this vision of a hand drawn vintage clock face striking midnight - a combination of heirloom elegance and scratchy chalkboard imperfection.

The inspiration came from a beautiful antique clock.  Many decades ago, my Grandma purchased it from a Detroit school house that was closing it's doors.  I love the history of this gorgeous timepiece and the thought of it quietly ticking away on the back wall of a room filled with children singing and playing and learning.  
Consistency meets chaos.



You will need:

- blank  note cards (I found these gold and white striped cards with envelopes in the Target dollar section, $1 for eight)
- black paper or card stock
- white colored pencil
- gold marker or pen
- confetti







Now, before we begin: let me just assure you that your clock faces do not need to be perfect.  
In fact, that is the charm of this project!  Please note that my lines aren't always straight and things don't line up.  Each clock is a tiny bit different, and I like it that way. :)
Use the colored pencil to draw white circles on your black paper.  
I traced a round lid from a spice jar (the lid is about 2 inches in diameter).
Now we'll draw the clock striking midnight. I broke it down into four steps for you.

1. Make a small dot in the center of your circle for reference. 
2. Write the roman numerals for 12, 3, 6, and 9 in their places on the clock face. 
3. Add two dashes between each numeral to represent the other numbers (or, if you want to be an overachiever, write the numerals for those numbers as well).
4. Draw both hands pointing towards midnight. 
Cut out the circles, leaving about 1/4 of an inch of black around each clock.
Again- don't try to cut them perfectly, some inconsistency is okay.
Tape or glue the clock to the center of your card.
On the inside, write 2015 with your gold marker and a message or wish for the New Year. 
Because New Years is all about the glitz, I tossed a handful of black and white confetti in each card before tucking it into the envelope.  
This bag was waiting for me in the clearance section at Hobby Lobby.  
Thank you for reading my blogposts and inspiring me in 2014.
I hope you have a wonderful New Year that is both elegant and creative, just like you.
Enjoy the season!

Love,
Heather



No comments:

Post a Comment