Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Jar Project


Putting objects into jars is kind of my thing.....

In 2010, I was fortunate enough to be a part of Artprize, the largest art contest in the country, which takes place right here in Grand Rapids.  I spent six months asking everyone I know (and everyone they knew) what they dream about at night.  Each dream was written on a tag and tied to a mason jar containing objects that represented the dream.  In total,  I filled 378 jars, wrote out all the tags and built shelves to display them on.  My project was chosen to be hosted by the Grand Rapids Public Museum and I was voted into the top 50 (out of over 1,700 pieces).


It was an insane amount of work, but the experience was amazing.  I loved every minute of it. Someday, if I can find the time and energy, I would love to do it again.  I was interviewed by two news papers and a local blogger for Craft Sanity.  Click here to see her post about my project and a very awkward interview video.


When I saw The Jar Project on Art House Co-op's website, you know I signed up.  Jars were sent out to be filled and returned to their New York gallery.  A window display will be created using two hundred jars, all filled by different artists.

To fill my jar, I decided to stick to what I know: dreams.



No comments:

Post a Comment