Saturday, November 22, 2014

Blessed Sign (DIY)

Blessed sign for Thanksgiving, made from a Birchbox lid.

Last week, my November Birchbox arrived.  As usual, it was packed full of little goodies and packing materials just begging to be re-purposed.  
Before moving to Colorado, I sold most of my holiday stuff in a yard sale.  Aside from a few ornaments, I have zero decorations.  I found a roll of pretty ribbon in the gift wrap section at Target and put this sign together in half an hour.
You will need:
- cardboard box lid
- black paint
- gold Sharpie marker
- gold ribbon (3-4 feet)
- hot glue gun


Paint the box lid and allow it to dry for at least an hour.
You made need to add another coat.
*Suggestion from my artist husband: keep your brush strokes going back and forth in one direction.  This will give the slightest illusion of wood grain under the paint*
With the gold sharpie, carefully write Blessed on the box lid. 
(I highly recommend practicing on paper first - there's no going back!)
Find the middle of your gold ribbon and glue it to the bottom center of your box lid.
Continue gluing the ribbon along the bottom and both sides.
When you finish, your sign should look something like this:
Tie a bow with the loose ribbons and hang on the wall.
I absolutely LOVE the way it turned out.  
Not only does it work as holiday decor, but its also a reminder that I am blessed and have plenty to be thankful for.  I may just leave it up all year.




No comments:

Post a Comment