Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Recycled Bunting Postcard (DIY)

I have lived in Colorado just over a year now. 
The mountains are breathtaking and the people are friendly, but I miss Michigan.
I’m homesick for the beautiful lakeshore, my funny friends and my wonderful family. Thankfully, we live in a time of technology. Without Skype and texting, I would most likely curl up into a ball and die. While this internet connection keeps me in close contact with most of the world, my parents are a different breed. They prefer to send letters: old fashioned, handwritten stamped and mailed letters. Let me tell you – nothing makes my day quite like finding a handwritten letter tucked in between an electric bill and a grocery store flier. When I open that envelope, I am holding a tiny little piece of home in my hands, created especially for me. The thought of my Dad sitting down at the table with a cup of coffee before work to compose a quick note absolutely melts my heart.  It’s like winning the lottery.

When I have the time, I write them back. If I have just a little bit more time, I hand make the card or
stationary. One special day last month, I found myself with two things: time and inspiration. It was
magical (and hopefully, I can make that happen more often). Using an IKEA catalog and some contact paper, I made a dozen adorable recycled postcards.
Here is how I made them:
You will need: 
Card stock
catalogs
contact paper
glue
scissors
markers
X-Acto knife

Draw a triangle on scrap cardboard to make a stencil for your bunting.  I dug a cracker box out of my recycling bin.My triangle is about an inch tall and 3/4 inch wide.  Use the X-acto knife to cut it out.
Flip through your catalogs and find pretty patterns.
Using the stencil and a pen, draw five or six triangles for each card.
Cut the cardstock into postcard-sized pieces, about 4" x 6".
Using a bright marker, draw a slightly curved line for your bunting triangles to hang from. 
Space the triangles evenly along the line and glue in place.
Write 'Hello' in the upper right corner, then cover with clear contact paper.
Trim away the excess contact paper.
Write a friendly message, then send the postcard out into the world!


No comments:

Post a Comment