Tuesday, July 3, 2012

American Denim Postcard (DIY)

When it comes to American fashion, I would consider denim a staple- especially in the summer.
 And, I'm pretty sure nothing is more american that these painted jean hot pants from us.topshop.com.


I'll be honest with you: I really have no interest in patriotic shorts.  My neighbors have seen me run around here in all kinds of weird clothing, and they don't need anything else to laugh about (advice: if you must go up a lot of steps, avoid maxi skirts at all cost or there will come a day when your hands are full of groceries, the hem of your skirt gets caught under your shoe, and the teenage neighbor boy walking behind you gets a free show).  
I do, however, really like the idea of painted denim, so I made postcards instead.  
I send a lot of postcards thanks to Postcrossing, and most go to other countries.  If at all possible, I try to send things that give a little glimpse of my life and the way things are in the USA.  This little card is ll American and very crafty.  Do you want to make one? I'm sure you do; here's how:


You will need:
denim scraps
card stock
hot glue
red & white paint
paint brushes
scissors
scotch tape
an iron (not shown...obviously)

Start by cutting the card stock to postcard size (5.5" x 3.5" or 4" x 6" will work).  Cut a section of denim slightly larger than your card.  My denim is leftover from my lacy shorts project.   I also decided that I wanted a seam in the middle of my card. If you don't have denim, any other fabric will work just fine.
Outline the card with hot glue and add a little to the center.  Stick the card to your fabric.  
Use the iron to fuse the card and fabric by re-melting the glue.  
This will also flatten out any bumps caused by the glue.
Use white paint to add stars to one side.  You can paint them by hand or use a stamp.  I made this stamp by gluing a wooden star shape to a plastic shot glass.  You could also look for sticky foam shapes that include a star, or cut one out of a sponge.
Next you will add the stripes.  Place two or three pieces of scotch tape spaced equally apart on the other side.  Use red paint to cover the exposed fabric creating red stripes. 
When the paint is dry, remove the tape.
Flip the card over and use your remaining red paint to add the dotted line, a square for the stamp, and any other decorations you'd like.  
Once the card is dry, add a message and send it away to another land!





If you would also like to make a pair of the shorts, here's an adorable tutorial from the blog

Happy Fourth of July!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment