Thursday, January 5, 2012

Junk Mail Greeting Card (DIY)


One look at my overflowing recycling bin this morning, and I decided that the mission of the day would be to give some junk mail new life. 
I dug out a few fliers, envelopes and pages from an old book along with a bag of sparkly sequins from an estate sale.

You will need:
- blank cards with envelopes
- junk mail
- pages from an old book
- sequins
- glue
Using a technique everyone is good at ~making paper snowflakes~ I sat on the floor with hot tea, scissors and a glue stick and set to work.  
I cut snowflakes in a variety of shapes and sizes from blue envelopes.
Cut rectangles from the book pages that are slightly smaller than the cards and glue them to the front.
Because the pages I used are from a grade school book about Michigan, a majority of the text is related to cold weather on the Great Lakes
Glue the snowflakes to your cards and add a few sequins for sparkle.
The finished result is a delicate, wintry note card with dimension and a variety of interesting textures. When I look at them, I imagine sitting nestled up in a warm cozy chair reading a good book on a cold, blustery Michigan winter day.

We now have new mail made out of old mail!



2 comments: