Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Story Book Pendants (DIY)


Story book charms
Since I started reading The Help by Kathryn Stockettlast week, my mind has been in the 1960s.   Vintage children’s books call to me, bringing mental images of little Mae Mobley toting them around her house.

A small collection of ratty, well-loved story books sat in my studio until this afternoon, along with a tin box of clear glass stones from the Goodwill.

Originally, I planned to make magnets with the stones, but today I decided to make story book pendants instead.
Glass magnets are a fun, popular craft I've seen often on Etsy.com created by gluing images to the back of clear stones and adding a magnet.  I had all of the supplies on hand, so I made the magnets but added one last step: attaching a bail to the back.

You will need:
- books
-  E-600 glue or modge podge
- glass stones
- jewelry bails
I found little illustrations in the books (manly birds and flowers) to glue to the stones.
Cut circles from the book pages that are slightly smaller than your glass stones. 
Glue them to the back of the stones.
Glue a bail to the back.
Scrap pages with old school images of characters like Snow White and Bambi were salvaged to make matching tags for each pendant.  
They are so cute. I wonder if projects similar to this were popular in the 1960s.  
I can imagine housewives like Elizabeth Leefolt sitting at her dining table cutting up magazines to make magnets as gifts for friends.




1 comment:

  1. The Help is one of my all-time favorite books. I love this project! Will you be selling them on Etsy, by chance?

    ReplyDelete