Sunday, August 26, 2012

Day 26 ~ 30 Days of Nothing Challenge


Day 26

Happy birthday to Patrick...but as far as the birthday dinner....fail.  I'm not feeling so good, so I'm postponing 'Dinner with Friends' until tomorrow...or whenever we can get together.  Patrick's had a bug...I guess I caught it, too.  I left work early and came home to take a big fat nap.  I didn't eat Breakfast again (shame on me), just coffee, and Lunch was leftover pizza rolls, gummy bears and spinach dip.  Yeah, I know: its bad.  Are you going to suggest I don't feel so hot because of what I've been eating?  That's entirely possible....




For Dinner I made Tin Can Chili and cornbread.  When Patrick makes chili, its serious business.  He roams the grocery store collecting various peppers and seasonings then comes home and chops all the ingredients into painstakingly small peices before dropping them in a pot to simmer all day.  When I make chili, I use four ingredients - all from cans - and its ready to serve in ten minutes.  My chili is good though.  Not as good as the gourmet all-day affair Patrick makes, but its hearty and fast and fills my tummy.  If you happen to have the sniffles, like me, a bowl of warm chili hits the spot.


Ingredients (Makes 6-8 servings):
1 can diced tomatoes (any flavor)
1 can chili beans
1 can tomato paste
1/2 jar salsa
1 dash of chili powder
1 dash of garlic powder
green onions (optional, I don't always add these, I just happened to have them around)

Directions:
Mix ingredients in a pot, serve when hot.

A good side for chili is cornbread.  I use the mix and bake it into mini muffins.  Jiffy cornbread mix runs at about .70 cents a box, so I'm guilty of buying more than I need and stashing them in my cupboard.  I'm not sure what for, maybe a city paralyzing blizzard that traps everyone inside their homes for weeks?  Cornbread doesn't really excite me, so I have no idea how long this box has been around.  One of those things I probably wouldn't use if it wasn't for this 30 Day Challenge :)

No comments:

Post a Comment