Saturday, January 23, 2016

Wooden Heart Cookie DIY

Do you ever gawk in amazement at those Youtube videos with someone decorating an impeccable, completely perfect cookie and think to yourself, "How sad that someone's just going to eat that now and it will be gone forever."
If so, then this tutorial might be for you.
This lovely video by SweetAmbsCookies is exactly what I am talking about.  This girl has skills:

Aren't these gorgeous?  This is way beyond my level of baking talent.
By no means am I a cookie decorating expert but I like doing it and I really like when people enjoy eating these confections, however... I will admit that a little piece of me dies every time I witness my work of art crumbling apart before disappearing into their mouths.
Never to be seen again.
It's heart breaking.

So what if... we made cookies that last forever?
I painted these wooden cookies with pretend icing for my two year old niece to play with.  She and I share a deep appreciation for cookies (both making and eating them) and we "bake" together regularly.  While I'm doing the actual work, she sets up beside me at the counter with a collection of miniature plastic ingredients and utensils to copy my every move.  
Along with approximately, ohhh... 6,000 pieces of store bought plastic food is a growing selection of handmade goodies.  Most are smaller versions of the containers, supplies, and food in my kitchen.  Adding pretend sugar cookies to the mix just seemed logical.
You will need:
wooden heart shapes
acrylic paint
3D puffy fabric paint
glitter

These hearts are about 2" wide.
Beware: several had rough edges that could lead to slivers in tiny hands. I smoothed them down with a nail file.
Use the acrylic as your frosting base.  Paint an outline first leaving a bit of the wood exposed around the edge.  This unfinished wood will read as golden baked sugar cookie dough.  Yum!
 Fill in the outline with a hearty layer of the same acrylic paint.  Notice how the brush strokes add dimension, like frosting that has been applied with a butter knife.
When your acrylic is dry, you can embellish with the fabric paint.  I chose 3D fabric paint because it will hold its dimension and texture as it dries.  You can find it at craft stores like Hobby Lobby.
 Before experimenting with the puffy paint, I sketched a few examples.
I wasn't brave enough to try the techniques in the video yet so I went with basic zigzags, swirls and dots.

Slowly and carefully add the puff paint. I can almost guarantee that the paint won't come out of the bottle perfectly every time and that's okay. Edible icing isn't perfect either.
 The glitter I used is from the manicure aisle of the Dollar Tree.  Shake it on gently and allow the paint to dry before removing the excess.
 Allow the fabric paint to dry overnight and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment