Friday, December 21, 2012

Wooden Mushroom Ornament (DIY)

I was wandering through Hobby Lobby the other day when I came up with the idea for this mushroom ornament.



You know how in zombie movies, the living characters want to avoid contact with the dead?  Before they venture out for supplies, they make a giant list of every single thing they need, then execute the journey as fast and efficiently as possible to avoid being exposed or eaten.  That is exactly how I feel about shopping at the Hobby Lobby.  I want to get in and out as quickly as I can.   Its an enormous and confusing store with ridiculously long lines and more people chugging around in power scooters than a nursing home...but sometimes I have to go there. It can't be avoided.
During my last trip to the Hobby Lobby (my friend Molly refers to it as 'the Walmart of Craft Supplies')  I found myself in the hardware isle. Who knew Hobby Lobby even had a hardware isle?  And, unfortunately, if you asked me to find the isle again, I doubt I could.  I saw these little wooden drawer pulls and instantly thought 'mushroom'.  I tossed them in my basket and headed up front to stand in line for forty five minutes (just the right amount of time needed to come up with a mushroom craft project).  Here's how I made these simple mushroom ornaments:



You will need:
wooden drawer pulls
hot glue gun
beads
red and white paint
twine or ribbon











Glue a bead to the top of each drawer pull. When the mushroom is finished, you can thread a string through the bead to hang it from.
Flip the little mushroom over and paint the base white.  You may need several coats.
Now paint the top (including the bead) red.
Once the paint has dried, Use the white to add spots to the red top. 
Add the twine and tie a loop.
These little guys are going to hang on my Christmas tree, but I like them so much that I'm thinking about keeping a few up all year long. They would look cute hanging in a window or by he front door.  If you want to add a pop of color to a house plant,  leave the bead off and glue a stick underneath, then push the cheery little mushroom into the soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment