Saturday, December 26, 2015

The Sweater Twinsies Tradition

Merry Christmas! 
I hope your holidays were warm and cozy and filled with family time and traditions.

 On Christmas Eve, my mother-in-law taught me her Polish family recipe for Kapoosta (basically sauerkraut with bacon) and Beef Balls.  Patrick enjoyed sharing this meal with his family before becoming a vegetarian, so I decided to surprise him with a meatless version with Tofurky brand "roast beef" strips, vegetable broth, "facon-bacon", and mushroom gravy.  I'll be honest: this concoction wasn't the best meal I've ever made, but it was fun to sit down for dinner and have our own version of what everyone else at the table was eating.
Along with our tiny ornament tradition, my niece and I also take an annual photo in coordinating holiday sweaters.  It all began during her first Christmas when we both happened to show up in identical black and white attire.  I ran with it - every Christmas from now until forever will be celebrated with Charlie and I donning twinsie sweaters.  

Year one:
It's adorable now but it's going to be hilarious in twelve years when she blossoms into an unimpressed, easily embarrassed teenager.  My job is to find/make the set of matching sweaters and Charlie's job is not to cry hysterically as we put them on and attempt to take photos.  
She's....working on that...

Year Two:

This year, I found a tiny polar bear sweater on Black Friday and a larger, 1990's Bill Cosby style sweater at the thrift store to alter for myself that cost $2.
So apparently...cats are really into Bill Cosby sweaters? Who knew.  
I cut a larger version of the polar bear face from white and black felt and stitched it to the front of the sweater.  The felt shapes were sewn on by hand, but it didn't take long at all.  
Added Bonus: both Patrick and I were able to wear it to work on Ugly Sweater Day.
Oh, what fun!
For me, anyway.  Charlie isn't really into our little tradition yet.  
Life is rough for an exhausted, over-sugared two year old that has been pulled away from new toys to pose for family photos.
Thankfully, she obliged after I allowed her to play with my camera.  
Although, I secretly think the pictures of me wrestling her into that sweater are WAY funnier than any of these.

Year Three:
My future photojournalist:
What holiday tradition does your family celebrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment