Friday, January 11, 2013

Good{will outlet} Friday #38 ~ Inspired by Tory Burch

I love working from home, but the majority of my time is spent in baggy sweat pants with my hands coated in splatters of acrylic paint and my hair piled on top of my head in a frizzy bird's nest.


Sometimes, I like to dress up.  We're not talking 'silk gloves, fake eyelashes, and sequins' dressed up, just something better than my regular 'I live in a dumpster' style.  I like to look professional...or decent anyway.  This week's office friendly outfit was inspired by a Tory Burch's Resort 2013 Lookbook at Nordstrom.com. Everything I'm wearing is from Goodwill Outlet Center and cost less than ten dollars.
I love the warm neutral colors mixed with navy blue and gold.  Its hard to tell in the photos, but my sweater is navy blue - and warm!  I like the scarf and skinny gold belt, but my favorite part of this ensemble is the 'coin' necklace.  The eclectic coins are actually gold buttons.
Buttons like these are plentiful in the blue Outlet Center bins.   Want to make one?  Here's how:
Using wire clippers, remove the loop from the back of each button.  If the area is jagged, you might have to gently sand it down.  Otherwise, the rough spot might scratch your neck and give you a splotchy looking rash (and rashes go along with the 'I live in a dumpster look', so I recommend avoiding them when possible). Drill a hole in each button and attach to a chain with jump rings. The chain I used was also from the Outlet Center.  In its previous life, it was a belt.
All of these items were purchased from Goodwill Outlet Center, but here's who made them:

Sweater: Christopher & Banks
Skirt: Gap
Scarf: H&M
Belt: Express
Necklace: Made by me, buttons from various brands

No comments:

Post a Comment